How to get started with data collection from the website.
To begin with event collection in Tracardi, follow these steps:
1. Ensure Tracardi Installation:
- You must have Tracardi installed on your system.
2. Understand Test and Production Modes:
- Tracardi GUI operates in two modes: test and production.
- The test mode collects data via API which can be configured to run as Test or Production. The default mode is tests.
- A separate instance of Tracardi can be opened with environment variable PRODUCTION set to 'yes' for production data collection, typically on a different port.
3. Switch Modes as Admin:
- As an admin, you can switch between test and production modes by clicking the 'test' label next to the Tracardi logo.
4. Note Separation of Environments:
- Test and production modes are separate environments, meaning data collected in the test mode is not visible in production, and all settings are specific to one environment.
- The typical workflow is to set up the system in test mode, then deploy it to production by going to ' Maintenance/Deployment' and clicking 'Deploy to Production.' This action copies all the settings to the production instance.
Example for Test Environment:
- To confirm that your API is in test mode, click on the Tracardi logo and check for results like:
- Frontend Version: 0.8.1
- Backend Version: 0.8.1.01506
- DB Version: 08x
- API context: staging
- GUI context: staging
- 'API context: staging' indicates the API is in test mode.
- 'GUI context: staging' indicates the GUI is fetching data from the test environment.
Event Collection in Test Mode:
- Click on 'test' near the Tracardi logo to change the mode (the GUI should turn red), indicating the GUI is fetching data from production.
Return to Test Mode:
- Click again to return to test mode.
Create an Event Source:
- Go to 'Inbound Traffic/Event Source' and create a new event source. This source will be available only in the test environment.
- Don't forget to add this part to collect events:
Check Collected Events:
- After refreshing the page, you should see the events in 'Data/Events' in the test environment. Switching to production mode should display no events since you did not collect them via the production API.
Debugging Event Collection
- To debug event collection, visit the page where you placed the script.
- Right-click on it and select 'Inspect.'
- Choose the 'Network' tab and refresh the page.
- You should see all the connections made by the page, including a connection to the Tracardi API. Check for any errors.